Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday: Reusing Candy Canes

My kids don't like to eat candy canes (Aaaaack! It's too minty! It's burning my tongue! It's burning my tongue!!!!) but they do like to decorate the Christmas tree with them. Instead of buying four boxes of candy canes each year and then throwing them out after the holidays, I put the candy canes in a Ziploc freezer bag and stick them in the freezer till next year. Freezing keeps them from getting all gummy and sticky. We have been using the same candy canes for at least three years and they look as good as they did the first year.




Note: I do not recommend eating candy canes after they have been frozen year after year. They pick up that been-in-the-freezer-too-long taste. Not yummy.


Visit We Are That Family to find more links to Works For Me Wednesday tips!

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Cute idea! No one here likes eating candy canes, either. I never thought to hang them on the tree, or to freeze them, either. Have you ever tried other, non-minty flavored candy canes that you can get at the grocery store? I think Jolly Ranchers sells some flavors, and maybe Lifesavers. We've tried those, and do not get the "Aaack! I'm going to die from the mint!" response. They are in fruity colors and flavors :)

Stimey said...

"It's burning my tongue! It's burning my tongue!" You made me laugh out loud. My kids refer to anything with a strong, unexpected taste as "spicy."

Great tip!

Young Wife said...

I had no idea you could do that! Great idea.

phasejumper said...

Thanks for the tip! We decorated with candy canes this year and I had some plans what to do with them (I'm actually posting those plans for the next WFMW!)but now, thanks to you, I can save some for next year!