Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Scan It! at Giant

When my Giant was recently remodeled I was excited because I heard they were putting in the Scan It! hand held scanners that you use while you are shopping. My hopes were dashed when the remodel was almost complete and a cashier told me they had canceled the plans for the self scanners. Then when I was shopping earlier this week I noticed another customer scanning and bagging her groceries as she shopped!

As I checked out I was talking about the scanners with the cashier and she told me that the scanners are loaded with special savings that are not available to customers who use the traditional checkout. Coke 12 packs were on sale for $1.99 but some scanner users were getting a $1 off special savings! Well, a certain someone in my house has a Diet Coke addiction, so getting a 12 pack for 99 cents would be super-awesome. I went back today to give the scanners a try and I got my three Coke 12 packs for 99 cents each!

Here is how it works: Scan your Giant Bonus Card at the Scan It! station and pick up a scanner and grocery bags. Scan and bag your groceries as you shop. The scanner keeps a running total of your grocery bill. If you scan an item and then decide you don't want it, push the remove button and scan the item again. There are special scales in the produce section which print out a label for you to scan. When you are finished shopping, you can complete your transaction at the self checkout or the regular cashier checkout. You scan a special bar code posted at the checkout, scan your Bonus Card again, scan your coupons and then pay.

Here is why I will be using the scanner again:
- Extra coupons!
- The running total the scanner keeps is a great tool for helping you stay within your grocery budget.
- There is no question about how much an item will cost. The sale price is displayed when you scan the item.
- Checkout is really, really quick.

2 comments:

Stimey said...

Wow, that's cool. I might have to shop at your Giant. Especially if they have .99 12-packs.

kingkool68 said...

I agree with all of the benefits you listed about Scan it! The only thing missing was a holster on the side of the cart. Instead I had to keep juggling the scanner on top of my groceries. I can't wait to see these make their way into more Giants.

You can read more about my experience on my blog -> http://www.russellheimlich.com/blog/grocery-shopping-with-a-scan-gun-at-giant/