Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How I Shop for Groceries

Recently a friend saw my grocery shopping list and was amused by the odd assortment of items I was planning to buy. That week I was only planning to buy grapes, hot dog buns, cheese, milk, carrots, and apples. Obviously it was not enough to feed a family of 4 for a week but I don't base my shopping list on what meals I am planning to make for the week. My shopping list is built upon what is on sale and what coupons I have. I stock up on items when I can get a good price and then I plan a weekly menu out of my well-stocked pantry and freezer. I may have to pick up a few items for specific meals I want to make but most of the ingredients I have already purchased in the past when I could get a good price.

An Example:
During the week I am highlighting here, there were some decent sales and I also purchased a handful of items that I needed for meals that I had planned. I shopped at Safeway, Super Fresh, Trader Joe's and Costco. I bought very few fruits and vegetables because I had a bunch left from the previous week. I also had to stock up to feed my (very un-frugal) Trader Joe's hummus snacking addiction.

Safeway











3 Lucerne Shredded Cheese $4.47 ($1.49 each)
Flour Tortillas $1.25
5 Diet Coke 12 packs $12.45 - (2) $1 off coupons = $10.45 ($2.09 each)
4 Kellogg's Mini Wheats $10 - $5 store promotion - (2) $1.50 off coupons = $2 ($.50 each)

Total: $18.17
Total savings off regular prices: $38.61

SuperFresh













Kidney Beans $.69
Great Northern Beans $.69
Eggland's Best Eggs $1.64 - $.55 doubled coupon = $.54
Pepito Tortillas $1.34
Potato Rolls $3.19
Ground Beef $6.79
3 Tree Ripe Orange Juice $6
Thomas' Whole Wheat English Muffins $1.99 - $1 coupon = $.99
2 Ball Park Beef Singles Hot Dogs $6 - $1 coupon = $5
Polnar Sugar Free Jam $3.98 - (2) $.50 off doubled coupons = $1.98 ($.99 each)
Russet Potatoes 5lbs $1.48
Broccoli Crowns $1.06
Zucchini $1.16

Total: $30.91
Total savings off regular price: $26.82

Costco & Trader Joe's









Skim Milk $2.25
Costco Bread 2 pack $4.29
Total: $6.54

2 Hummus $6.98
Grated Parmesan $4.28
2 Peanut Butter $3.58
Total: $14.84

In the near future I plan to post about the different grocery shopping strategies that I use to save money. I will also occasionally do posts like this one to show you how I put those strategies into action.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Heather, I'd love to know what you use to stay organized. Do you write stuff in a notebook or have a super huge coupon filing system? Have a great day!

Stimey said...

That is absolutely phenomenal. Honestly, it's really amazing. And I can't imagine taking a trip to Costco and buying two things. I should hire you to be my personal shopper.