Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Safeway Lowering Prices on Grocery Staples

The Washington Post reported today that Safeway grocery stores in the Washington DC region are lowering prices on staples including paper products, laundry supplies and coffee by as much as 25%. The price changes are in response to shoppers become more frugal in their grocery shopping habits.

The new Safeway sale ad highlights some changes in everyday prices. For instance, Maxwell House Coffee 33 oz has dropped from $12.29 to $8.99, Hamburger Helper changed from $2.59 to $2, Barilla Pasta dropped from $1.85 to $1.49 and Gain Laundry Detergent 150 oz fell from $17.99 to $14.99.

I have found Safeway to have some of the highest regular prices in my local area. I occasionally shop for sale items at the store but I rarely buy regularly priced things that I need there. Safeway does have awesome sale prices from time to time, especially with their Super Coupons. I wonder if the new lower everyday prices will effect the types of sales we see at the store.

Has anyone seen Safeway dropping regular prices in any other regions of the country?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I gave up on Safeway because the price at the register was always different than what was advertised and I spent so much time at the customer service desk! They also never had enough checkers. But, if the prices really are much lower, I may have to check it out.

Stimey said...

Wow, that's a huge difference in prices. We don't shop at Safeway because they're more expensive. Maybe we'll have to venture in.