Friday, April 10, 2009

Free Change Counting with CoinStar

Did you know that you can get free change counting with CoinStar machines if you use your change to purchase a gift card? Typically the CoinStar machines a hefty 8.9 cents per dollar. But if you turn your coins into a gift card, there is no fee. CoinStar offers gift cards for Amazon.com, CVS, Lowe's, AMC Theaters, Borders, Cabela's , iTunes, Eddie Bauer, JC Penny, Old Navy, Overstock.com and Starbucks, but selection varies by machine. Go here to find a machine near you and see what gift cards it offers.

I needed to make a purchase from Amazon.com and I had a bag full of change so I decided to give the CoinStar machine at the grocery store a try. I was a little nervous trying the machine with two kids in tow, but it was really easy and the kids were fascinated. I guessed I had about $30 in coins in the bag but it turned out I had $66!

2 comments:

Delora said...

My credit union offers those coin counting machines in their branch offices that deposit the amount directly into your account. No fees or messing with receipts; you just type your account number into the machine. Super convenient.

Stimey said...

That's quite a haul there! I like the idea of getting a gift card instead of cash because then I'm forced to buy fun stuff.