Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Drugstore Game: An Example

When you first start playing the Drugstore Game it is helpful to see examples of transactions that others have tried. I am pleased with my transactions for this week, especially since I was starting to run low on deodorant.


Transaction 1

Purchases:
1 Bic Soleil Razor @ $5.99
1 Colgate MaxFresh Toothpaste 6 oz @ $2.99
Total: $8.98

Coupons & ECBs Used:
- $2 off Soleil printable coupon
- $1 off Colgate MaxFresh coupon from 9/28 insert
- $5 ECB earned during previous visit

Total out of pocket (OOP): $.98 + tax
Total ECBs Earned: $6

Transaction 2:

Purchases:
1 Bic Soleil Razor Refills 4 ct. @ $5.99
1 Colgate MaxFresh Toothpaste 6 oz @ $2.99
2 Lady Speed Stick 24/7 @ $1.99 each
Total: $12.96

Coupons & ECBs Used:
- $2 off Soleil printable coupon
- $1 off Colgate MaxFresh coupon from 9/28 insert
- $1 off 2 Lady Speed Stick coupon from 9/28 insert
- $2 ECB earned during previous visit
- $6 ECB from first transaction

Total OOP: $.96 + tax
Total ECBs Earned: $8

So I went into this week with $7 in ECBs, I spent $1.94 out of pocket and I ended up with $8 in ECBs to spend next time.

If you are new to the game, you might be wondering why I did two transactions instead one. It is often better to do multiple transactions so that you pay less out of pocket. In transaction 2 I was able to use the ECBs from transaction 1 towards my purchase.

When I do multiple transactions, I always stand in line once for each transaction. This allows me time to regroup and plan after each transaction. I also think it is unfair to people behind you in line to do a bunch of transactions and make them wait longer.

Did you have a great trip to CVS this week? Leave a comment and tell everyone about it!

No comments: