Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Giant Scan It! Deals This Week


I had to make a quick stop at Giant today for some meat for dinner and I gave the handheld scanners another go to see what special savings they were offering. I am glad that I did!

Tropicana OJ is on sale for $2.50 this week and there was a $1.00 special savings for Scan It! users. Pasta Roni is on sale for $1 a box with $.35 savings with the scanner. I got 2 orange juices and 4 Pasta Ronis for $5.60. If I hadn't used the scanner, I would have paid $9.00.

Check out was a breeze since all my items were already scanned and bagged. I tried using the self checkout today and it was simple. Scan the special bar code at the checkout, scan the Bonus Card, wait a few seconds while it loads the order into the computer and then pay.

Here are the other special savings that were loaded on my scanner: 25% off grapes, 10% off London Broil, $1.00 off Giant cheese bars, $.50 off Thomas' English muffins, $.35 off Thomas' bagels and a bunch more that I can't remember.

I do have a problem with the Scan It! savings. There is no way of knowing without going to the store what your special savings will be. I always have my whole shopping trip planned out before I hit the store with my coupons matched up to sale prices and I rarely buy items that aren't on sale or that I don't have a coupon for. If I don't see any good sales at a store, I don't go there that week. I wasn't planning to go to Giant this week but I would have definitely planned to go if I had a way of knowing that I could get these great deals on orange juice and pasta. Another problem is that the Scan It! special savings aren't the same for everyone. Just because I got the $1.00 Tropicana savings doesn't mean that you will get it.

I also wonder if the special savings will get less awesome after the Scan It! devices become more established at my Giant. I didn't see anyone else in the store using the scanners today. The store is trying to promote them. They had 2 employees stationed at the door encouraging people to use them without success.

Do you have handheld scanners at your Giant? Are you seeing the same kinds of deals?

1 comment:

kingkool68 said...

Today I just had my first experiment with the Scan It at my local Giant. I didn't notice any special deals but then again I'm a stickler to stick to my shopping list and budget. The ongoing total really helps me do that!

You can read more about my experience on my blog -> http://www.russellheimlich.com/blog/grocery-shopping-with-a-scan-gun-at-giant/