Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Frugal Recipe: Pot of Beans Dinner


This is one of my favorite frugal cold weather recipes. I came up with this meal a few years ago from items I usually have on hand in my pantry. I stock up on the beans, sauce, and diced tomatoes when they are on sale and this turns out to be a very inexpensive meal. It is fast to prepare and you only dirty one pot to make it. It feeds my family of 2 adults and 2 kids with enough left over my lunch the next day.

Enjoy!


Pot of Beans Dinner
4-6 servings

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, finely diced
1 can kidney beans (15.5 oz), drained & rinsed
1 can black beans (15.5 oz), drained & rinsed
1 can great northern beans or butter beans (15.5 oz), drained & rinsed
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz), partially drained*
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. red pepper
shredded cheddar cheese or sour cream (optional)

Cook ground beef and onion in a dutch oven or large pot till ground beef is browned. Drain the grease. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the cheddar cheese or sour cream). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on medium low for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve as is or with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese or a spoonful of sour cream.

* To partially drain the tomatoes, I dump out the liquid at the top of the can but I don't squeeze out the liquid from the tomatoes. I find the beans are too watery if I don't remove some of the tomato juice. Also, I prefer to used petite diced tomatoes.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

This sounds good, Heather! I wanted to let you know that I saw a Ikea ad offering free breakfast this weekend, but I'm not sure on all the details.

Stimey said...

This sounds good. I'm going to print it out and make it, which will make my children cry, but I'll enjoy it.