Friday, February 27, 2009

Nabisco Wheat Thins vs. Target Thin Wheats

I love snacking on Wheat Thins and hummus but the crackers can be expensive if I can't find them on sale. I noticed that Target's Market Pantry Thin Wheats are less expensive, so I decided to give them a try.

Price:
Target's Market Pantry Thin Wheats sell for $1.79 for a 9 oz. box. Nabisco's Wheat Thins average around $3.49 for a 9 oz. box but I have seen them go on sale for as low as $1.99. Coupons for Wheat Thins are available infrequently.

Nutrition:
I purchased the reduced fat versions of both of these products. Target’s crackers have more saturated fat (1g vs. 0.5g), more sodium (270mg vs. 260mg) and more fiber (2g vs. 1g). Nabisco’s crackers have calcium (20mg vs. 0mg) and potassium (55mg vs. 0mg).

Taste:
The crackers taste almost alike. They are so similar that I can’t describe the difference in taste and I really have to concentrate to notice it. However, the textures of the crackers are different. The Target crackers are thinner than the Wheat Thins. Because they are thinner, the Target crackers don’t have the same amount of crunch as the Wheat Thins.

I think Target Market Pantry Thin Wheats are an acceptable substitute for Nabisco’s Wheat Thins but I do prefer the crunchier Wheat Thins. I will continue to stock up on Wheat Thins when they go on sale and when I have coupons, but in a pinch, I would purchase Market Pantry Thin Wheats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO HAPPY TO KNOW THIS!